On the advice of some English
friends—one how to sleep better on a hot summer night—I came home from the
village at midnight (an early night) and took a cold shower behind the house, under a full moon with the low
hum of cicadas and the not-to-distant shrieks of foxes and the howls of
jackals. Voila! I slept like a baby, a glorious six hours—the most in a single
night in the past twenty days.
I felt energized by a decent
night’s slumber, so I set off early for another longish run, down the mountain
and into the deep, verdant valley behind Finikounda. Running has always proved the
best method of exploring new places.
I hooked around the inner
agricultural zone and then onto to the beach, running across the sand dunes,
which are covered with purple blooming oregano—being careful not to tread where
the loggerhead turtles are laying their eggs each night—and then I took a long
swim. I keep misplacing my clothes because I swim parallel to the beach and
lose track of where I started. I thought the yoga people were playing a trick on me. I was tempted to steal their clothes...but the I found mine.
The beach is big and empty in the
early morning, except for the few people doing yoga and tai chi in the buff. We
are all in own separate zones of thought and activity, or so it seems.
Then I ran home, back up the
mountain. I’m running much slower than my normal training pace, owing to the
terrain, the heat, and my usual poor sleep. Despite the pace, I feel as though
I could run forever (or at least twenty or thirty miles at a pop). The problem is the
intensity of a rising sun and a lack of sufficient water.
These pictures trace my morning
run.
| Seriously downhill...then seriously uphill |
| The sand slows me down...plus, keeping an eye for where the turtles lay their eggs |
| The beach, at last! |
| The yoga people are on the other end--got the place to my lonesome |
No comments:
Post a Comment